Thursday, February 19, 2009

Book Review

One of my goals for this year is to read one book every month. I decided that along with that I would include a book review here after I have finished the book. So, I just got through with You Can be the Wife of a Happy Husband by Darien B. Cooper. I definitely learned a lot from this book, it's got some real practical advice on how to be a better help mate for your husband. It also has some helpful tips on what attitudes and behaviors to avoid such as disloyalty, selfishness, jealousy and bossiness.

My favorite chapter was definitely chapter 9 where she discusses Timeless Beauty.

In it she states:
"The source of your incorruptible beauty, is the spiritual condition of the heart."
See Psalms 23:7, Matthew 12:34

She also talks about traps that mar your beauty such as anger, fear and depression.
"No kinds of makeup will cover the self-consciousness, doubts and fears reflected on your face."

It became obvious in reading this book that the key to a successful marriage and the key to being beautiful on the inside and out is first having a right relationship with the Lord.

Another quote I really loved:
"Do not let your joy depend on circumstances,
but on your relationship and fellowship with God.
Reacting to conditions around you
produces and unstable existence."

So many times I have fallen into that trap of letting circumstances steal my joy and my countenance has fallen. What a great reminder that we need to have our eyes fixed on Jesus and allow doing His will to be our joy.

All in all, this book is definitely one of the best I have read. It provides a good basis for understanding your role as a help mate, and offers some key tips on how to be the wife of a happy husband. :-)

A small word of caution. The one thing I did not like about this book was that Darien talks a lot about women who came up to her afterwards and figured out that it was their lack of ____ (whatever she was discussing in the chapter) that caused their marriage to falter, or their husband to leave, etc. While I think it is important for us wives to understand we have an important role to play and also understand that what we do certainly can impact our marriages. I think it's important to also note, that those women did not single handedly destroy their marriage because they screwed up in one area. It's takes two, and the husband is the head and he is to answer to the Lord.

And there you have it. I'm about 40 pages from the end of The Worn out Woman so that review should be coming soon.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I love book reviews!