Tuesday, June 12, 2007

30 Day Challenge: Days 10-12

I've been finding it hard to stick to the challenge over the weekend and into this week. It's not that I can't find anything positive to say to my husband, it's more that I don't seem to have time to do it. Emily hasn't been sleeping well and I've been getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night for the past few nights. I still can't seem to figure out what is bothering her and why she is crying/whining so much, which has really frustrated me. It's tough to comfort a crying child who simply won't listen to reason. The whole point is that I'm in a really tough area with my daughter. This age to me is the most challenging. I feel unprepared for this stage; the constant energy, constant questions, constant correction, temper tantrums, defiance, etc. Where did my sweet smiling little baby go!? I've really been letting my attitude sink into bitterness and I know that I shouldn't. I have felt defeated, overwhelmed, and drained. Well, today while I was on-line I went to a link called Praying for Heather. What I found there was a story of a mother, who has a brain tumor and is undergoing chemotherapy (with 3 children at home). From her page was a link to read a story about her daughter, Emma Grace. I read it, heart broken for this woman and the pain she had to endure, and suddenly I realized my attitude had to change. I encourage you to check out her website and read her story: http://www.especiallyheather.com/emma/
This woman's attitude through all of what she is going through is astonishing! She closes the story about her fight with cancer with this verse:

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
~2 Corinthians 12:8-10~

I'm not quite sure what to write about what I have taken away from her story. All I know is that it impacted me dramatically and I'm so thankful for this woman and her willingness to share her struggles. I am ashamed to have been so bitter, frustrated, and negative over things that are so incredibly small. I truly have been blessed, and have no reason to let my emotions darken my days. Life is short and I am convinced that there is no place for negativity in any of the days that God has chosen to give me. So today, I am humbled by this woman's spirit, and praying that I gain that same perspective in life.

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

Heather is an amazing amazing woman, and I too have been so inspired throughout her journey! What incredible faith she has!

Eli hasn't been sleeping well either the last 2 weeks or so, and it's driving me crazy!!! I think it has to do with teething, although I don't see where any teeth are coming in! All I know is he is waking up between 5:30 and 6:00 every morning and then not napping well during the day either. I just want this over and to see some teeth for all this! Sorry about Emily, hope you figure it out soon. It's not anything with the new bed, is it? She did so well at first. Hmm...