Sunday, June 24, 2007

Husband Encouragement Challenge:Day 25

Today is day 25 of the challenge, but I'd like to start out by commenting on Day23.

Day 23 asked the question : Does the "30-Day Encouragement Challenge" seem like hard work? Or is it becoming a pleasant exercise in genuine Christ-likeness in your home?

I have to say that it still seemed like work for me up until Sunday morning. I was struggling with why the lessons I've been learning weren't sinking in. Yesterday at church Pastor Larry was speaking on John 16. He spoke on how the Holy Spirit guides us and teaches us. One of the things he pointed out was that the Holy Spirit can't teach us what we need to know when we don't have a right relationship with him. He spoke on how without confession on sins, the Holy Spirit is grieved. So I did some self examination and realized that my prayer life is in need of help. I definitely had been praying, but not confessing sins on a daily, multiple times a day, basis. I had been skipping over this VERY important step and just listing my requests and praises to God. No wonder when I was crying out to God for help, my prayers were coming back unanswered. The Holy Spirit hasn't been allowed to respond to me and teach me the things I need to know because of sin looming in my life. What a simple truth. So, I am now moving The Power of a Praying Wife and A Woman's Call to Prayer up to the top of my "to read" list. If there's only one thing I could say that I'm learning through out this challenge, it would be the power of prayer.

Now back to today. Coincidentally today challenges us to confess our sinful habits:
Do you promote an atmosphere of peace, or do critical words often flow from your mouth? Do you struggle with anger? If so, before you continue with your Encouragement Challenge, confess these sinful habits to the Lord, and determine to speak words of peace to your family today.

Wow. I would definitely say that the Lord is trying to show me something. I am definitely in for some time on my knees today. As for Stew, he's been great. Last night Emily had an awful night and I tried several times to comfort her. By ten thirty I was at the end of my rope. Stew stepped in, even after a long afternoon at work, and rocked her to sleep. That was another thing. Stew got called into work at one thirty yesterday and didn't complain. He went in until 8pm and got done what needed to be. I really respect and admire his work ethic. He is such a hard worker and is so good at what he does. He manages to move up the ladder of responsibility at work while maintaining his priority at home. I am so blessed.

If you'd like to join the challenge, or see what other's have written, visit In Light of the Truth.

No comments: