Thursday, October 23, 2008

Where I stand

I read this great blog post this morning (thanks mom) and it lines up so perfectly with how I feel about this election that I felt the need to share it. Here's an excerpt:

"Would John McCain be a great president? I don't know. Maybe he wouldn't even be a good president. There are so many claims by both candidates that their words seem like wind to me. I don't feel like I know a lot. But I do know for certain that one candidate defends the right of the unborn to live, and the other is utterly committed to be sure that it remains legal to kill them. And on THAT issue I know what God says is right and wrong.

Yes, I realize Obama is cool. As I said two blogs ago, I really wanted to vote for him, so I could be cool too. John McCain is not so cool. And he's a Republican at a time where being a Republican definitely isn't cool. The question isn't whether I'd rather have dinner or play golf with Obama or McCain. (I'd choose Obama.) The question isn't whether I'd like the Republican Party to change. (I would.) I'm not voting for the Republican Party. In one sense I'm not voting mainly for John McCain. I am voting for McCain because it's my only way in this election to vote for the right of unborn children to live rather than die."

"On Tuesday November 4, don't think you are merely expressing a preference between two men, choosing who you like, who you'd enjoy hanging out with. You're not voting for a friend, a dinner companion, a dance partner, someone to sit next to at a ball game or to be seen with at a party. Don't allow yourself to vote as if this were American Idol. In the arena of an unborn child's right to live, these candidates stand for things far bigger than themselves. And when it comes to the right to life of coming generations of unborn children, they stand for two polar opposites. "

Go here to read the whole article.
*I welcome comments from an opposing view point. However, hateful comments will be deleted. Even people with opposing views can show respect for one another. Thanks.

2 comments:

Mary said...

A friend said that this being year 2008, the issue of abortion becoming illegal is highly unlikely. BUT partial-birth abortions DID become illegal recently and stem-cell research remains a hot topic. I agree with the concept of this article. Voting this year is more about moral issues than the candidates themselves. Thx for posting.

Amy said...

Taken from washingtonpost.com:
"But Obama's record on abortion is extreme. He opposed the ban on partial-birth abortion -- a practice a fellow Democrat, the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, once called "too close to infanticide." Obama strongly criticized the Supreme Court decision upholding the partial-birth ban. In the Illinois state Senate, he opposed a bill similar to the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, which prevents the killing of infants mistakenly left alive by abortion. And now Obama has oddly claimed that he would not want his daughters to be "punished with a baby" because of a crisis pregnancy -- hardly a welcoming attitude toward new life."

Partial-birth abortions might be illegal today, but if Obama is voted president there is a great likely-hood that that might change.