Thursday, June 7, 2007

D-Day Remembrance



Yesterday was D-Day and to mark the "holiday" my husband asked to watch Saving Private Ryan. (Just a bit of background: He's a history buff, ask him anything about any of the wars and he can go on in great detail for hours. Along with his knowledge of the wars comes a great appreciation for the men who sacrificed their lives for our freedom and the freedom of others.)

So, to continue, I was reluctant at first to watch the movie. I, naturally, am the complete opposite of Stewart. Not a history buff, I don't like blood and violence, and I definitely don't like weapons. However, I decided it would be good to support him and watch the movie especially since I know how much it meant to him. I did miss the first scene, the raid on the beach, but after that I settled in to watch the rest of the movie. I had forgotten how incredibly sad it was and how many men lost their lives fighting in WW2. It reminded me how important it is to remember events like this. It also reminded me how sad it is that most of that generation has passed away or will be very soon. I wonder if our children and if our children's children will understand the depth of these events? I wonder if the importance of their generation will be lost? I know for me I only touch the surface of understanding, and my grandfathers, great uncles, etc. fought in this war and I was able to hear about their experiences first hand. So, I was reluctant at first to watch this movie, but came away with an appreciation for our veterans that I probably wouldn't have had otherwise.

1 comment:

KerryBear said...

HERE HERE!!!!! (Don't feel bad I haven't watched that yet either) :)