Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Direct Access

John 16:7 ~ "Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send him to you."

John 16: 24 ~ "Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full."

Our pastor challenged us last Sunday asking if we always view God in the light that we have direct access to him. In Jesus' last words to his disciples he says that it is to their (our) advantage that he departs. The disciples relied on the Lord so much for understanding and teaching. The loved him and believed in him and I'm sure they were wondering how this departure that he was talking about was going to be to their advantage. It made me think back to the time I found out that my friend Holly was moving to NH. I was so crushed. She had been such a mentor to me and dear friend. I wondered how I was ever going to find the same support I had from her. Of course this isn't the only instance I can think of where a dear friend/mentor has left or passed away. It's always left me feeling so alone and struggling in my faith. Sunday's message really opened my eyes and challenged me to the direct access I have to the Father. For too long I have completely relied on others to help secure my foundation in Christ. What an eye opening concept to know that I have the ultimate teacher just a prayer away. He loves me more than any individual on earth can and is waiting to wrap his arms around me. I am also reminded of a passage in James:

James 1:5 ~ "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

There have certainly been times in my life, esp. recently, where I have felt so lost and alone. I've wondered if I would ever find another mentor/teacher/friend. What an encouraging message for me on Sunday to know that the ultimate mentor/teacher/friend yearns for me and is waiting to teach me all that I need to know. Isn't it funny how sometimes we put God on this unreachable pedestal when in reality he is closer than we know? I am so thankful that our God is a reachable God!

No comments: